The B&O Railroad Station in Oakland, Maryland is a historic railway station that was built in 1884 by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O). It is located at the intersection of Second and Alder streets in downtown Oakland and is a contributing property to the Oakland Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The B&O Railroad Station in Oakland is a two-story brick building with a hipped roof and a projecting bay on the south end. It was designed in the Italianate style and features a number of decorative elements, including corbelled brickwork, arched windows, and a tall, bracketed cornice.
The station served as a transportation hub for the B&O Railroad and was an important economic and cultural center for the town of Oakland. It was used for passenger and freight service until the 1950s, when passenger service was discontinued. The station was subsequently used for freight service until the 1970s, when it was abandoned.
In the 1980s, the B&O Railroad Station in Oakland was restored and renovated by the Oakland Historic District Commission and the Garrett County Historical Society. It is now open to the public as a museum, and is used to host a variety of community events, including art exhibits, concerts, and festivals.
For this project, The Durable Slate Company tore off the shingle roof and restored it back to original by putting on the original sized 26" x 14" Virginia Buckingham slate and all new lead coated copper flashings.